Top 10 Prenatal Vitamin Brands and Best Prenatal Vitamins
Prenatal vitamins are concentrated little capsules of pre-baby nutrition that every mother-to-be should be thoroughly informed about way before she conceives a child. What we are trying to do here is create a nutrient-rich and safe environment in which a baby will grow healthy and strong from the moment of conception until the moment of birth. Prenatal vitamins allow the mother to enjoy her pregnancy by making her feel stronger and more energetic. Prenatal vitamins may also be taken by those of you hoping to conceive; not only will they make you more fertile (Yes!), but they will also prevent the likelihood of morning sickness if you do conceive (Another score!). Click Here to Complete List of Best Rated Prenatal Vitamins.
Many people can obtain all the nutrients they need through eating a well-balanced diet, but just to be sure, those of you carrying a second person inside you can never be too careful. Prenatal vitamins contain important ingredients for the healthy development of your child such as iodine for your little one’s thyroid and brain development, calcium for healthy little bones, and iron to prevent anemia and provide you with enough red blood cells during this critical period. Folic acid, which is probably the one thing you associate with prenatal vitamins is extremely important in preventing neural tube defects and is especially important during the first trimester. As you can see, prenatal vitamins are no joke and we are here to inform you about the best brands out there for you and your future little loved one.
What to look for in Prenatal Vitamins
Prenatal vitamins differ from regular multi-vitamins in that they contain nutrients specific to prenatal health. These specific vitamins are:
- Folic Acid: This is a B9 vitamin found in leafy green vegetables (spinach!) and enriched grains. Folic acid, also known as folate, is a vital nutrient that can prevent neural tube defects. These birth defects, usually occurring before the mother-to-be knows she is pregnant, can result in incomplete development of the spinal cord and the brain. Since neural tube defects can occur before you know you’re pregnant, it is wise to take a precautionary supplement if there are chances you might become pregnant. This is serious business.
Recommended Dosage: 400-800 mcg
- Calcium: Not only important for your own bone health, calcium plays a huge role in the third trimester of your pregnancy. This is the time when most of your baby’s bones will be developing and it is critically important that you consume the right amounts of calcium.
Recommended Dosage: 250 mg
- Iron: This mineral is important to hemoglobin which carries oxygen to your organs and tissues. During pregnancy, the mother’s body will be producing more blood to nurture the baby and this will cause her iron levels to go down. Therefore, it is important to take a supplement of iron to keep those stores filled and prevent tiredness, weakness, and anemia.
Recommended Dosage: 30 mg
- Iodine: This mineral is important for healthy thyroid development. During pregnancy, the fetus is not able to produce its own thyroid hormones and must therefore depend on its mother for the supply. This means that during pregnancy, the mother’s thyroid gland will work harder than it has in all its life (assuming this is a first pregnancy). To keep up with the extra thyroid hormones the mother is producing for the baby’s benefit, it is vital to take an iodine supplement.
Recommended Dosage: 90 mg
- DHA: An omega-3 fatty acid that supports vision, the brain and the central nervous system. Many prenatal vitamins do not include DHA, as it was only recently found to be important to prenatal health.
Recommended Dosage: 300 mg
Other vitamins and minerals to look for in prenatal vitamins are:
- 50 mg of Vitamin C
- 15 mg of Zinc
- 2 mg of Copper
- 2 mg of vitamin B6
- 400 IU
What else is Important in Prenatal Vitamins?
Taking a prenatal vitamin is a must for pregnant women or women trying to conceive. No matter how well you think your diet is balanced, it is likely that you can miss out on some important nutrients. Prenatal vitamins help to fill in those gaps to help you produce a healthy baby. Keep in mind that different women have different needs and your nutritionist may recommend separate supplements in addition to your prenatal vitamin. One of these may be a supplement of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for healthy brain development and usually not included in prenatal vitamins. Another thing to keep in mind is that your body can only absorb so many nutrients. If you think about this, you may come to the conclusion that taking a one-a-day multivitamin is not really effective. Therefore, you will find that the higher quality prenatal vitamins will usually have a dosage of one capsule three times a day. Also, you will notice that whole-foods based vitamins are absorbed more readily and do not cause stomach upset and digestion problems. Keep these things in mind while looking at the recommendations below.
Top 10 Prenatal Vitamin Brands
1. New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal Vitamin
The New Chapter Prenatal Vitamins are an all-natural, organic blend of 23 vitamins and 13 herbs that combine to provide you with high quality pre-natal care as well as stress relief and energy. Moms-to-be have chosen the New Chapter Prenatal brand as the best prenatal vitamin because in addition to providing all the essential vitamins you need to nurture a growing child, it provides the mother with energy in an all-natural blend that is easy on her sensitive stomach. Women who have tried the New Chapter prenatal vitamins enjoy the benefits of organic ingredients that prevent the nausea associated with morning sickness. Perhaps the only con about these wonder vitamins is the price; they will cost you about $34 for a two-month supply. However- These are truly amazing prenatal vitamins and are even recommended for people who are looking for high quality, organic multi-vitamins to improve overall health.
- Made from 100% Organic vegetables and natural herbs; Whole food complexed
- Contains all the essential vitamins specific to prenatal care
- Great for controlling morning sickness and nausea
- Improves energy levels better than any other prenatal vitamin on the market
- Three capsules a day
- A bit pricey
2. Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal from Garden of Life
This prenatal vitamin provides 800 micrograms of folic acid, which is an excellent dose in a prenatal vitamin. It is also 100% organic, vegetarian, dairy free, and gluten free (an excellent raw food). A high quality product, this brand of prenatal vitamins includes probiotics which improves the immune health of the baby as well as the mother. Nutritionists will fawn over the ingredients in this multivitamin and some consider it the best out there. This is also an excellent multivitamin to take while lactating since the vitamins and minerals will pass through your milk just like other nutrients and make for incredibly enriching and healthy breast milk. These are highly digestible capsules and allow for maximum absorption. These are really great prenatal vitamins and I haven’t found anyone who does not recommend them.
- Made from 100% organic vegetables and herbs
- Gluten free, diary free, vegetarian, raw
- Highly digestible
- Includes 800 mcg of folic acid
- Three capsules a day
- A bit pricey
3. Maxi Pre-Natal from Country Life
This prenatal vitamin option includes every vitamin recommended for pregnant and lactating women (even DHA!). Maxi Pre-natals are among the highest quality prenatal vitamins available and they are a whole-foods product, vegan and 100% organic. The ingredients in this prenatal vitamin are of the highest quality, which is why they are packaged in a dark glass bottle, to prevent decomposition and delay freshness. The only downside to these multivitamins, other than the price tag is the fact that you have to take six capsules a day. They are easy to swallow, tasteless, and excellent for people with sensitive stomachs. To make it easier on yourself, you might want to space these out into two doses of three capsules. The great thing about these multivitamins other than the fact that they are all-natural, organic, toxin-free, and of the purest quality is that you do not have to take any other supplements along with it (unless you have a special situation). These multivitamins are the whole package- You won’t find DHA in many prenatal vitamins.
- Made with 100% organic whole foods and herbs
- High quality
- Contains DHA
- Six capsules a day
- A bit pricey
4. Pre-Natal Care Multivitamins from TwinLab
A great prenatal vitamin, these supplements from TwinLab provide a lactating or gestating mother with all the supplements the baby needs to grow and all the nutrients she needs to bear him. Made with 100% organic whole-foods, this supplement also provides 100% of the folic acid supplement needed by pregnant or lactating women.
- Made from 100% organic whole-foods
- Provides 100% folic acid daily recommendation
- Two capsules daily
5. Prenatal One Multivitamin from Rainbow Light
Made with 100% organic whole-foods, this is an excellent once-daily prenatal vitamin that is also gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. This prenatal vitamin also contains probiotics and ginger extract to encourage maximum absorption and discourage stomach upset. For those of you interested in charity foundations and philanthropy, Rainbow Light is partnered with an international organization that helps defeat malnutrition around the world, so while you are feeding your baby-to-be amazing prenatal nutrients, other babies and mothers are able to do the same for themselves thanks to your purchase.
- Made with 100% organic whole-foods
- Dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan
- Contains probiotics
- One capsule daily
- Your purchase helps a child in need
6. Nature Made Prenatal Multivitamin
Nature Made is a trusted brand for all sorts of multivitamins and prenatal care is not one to be overlooked. Perhaps among the most affordable prenatal multivitamins you’ll ever find, these once-a-day tablets contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals you need. Nature Made Prenatal multivitamins also contain DHA, an important omega-3 fatty acid that is vital for the development of a healthy brain and nervous system. Some women experience a bit of nausea with these multivitamins, but you really can’t beat the price.
- Among the most affordable
- Contains DHA
- Some women experience a bit of nausea
- One capsule a day
7. Gummy Prenatals from Vita Fusion
An exciting and tasty way to take prenatal vitamins! Vita Fusion makes an excellent prenatal multivitamin available in multi-flavored gummies. Although the taste and presentation might tell you otherwise, these delicious treats are full of nutritious goodness for yourself and your future little candy-lover. The amazing thing about these gummy prenatals is that they are gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, and made with DHA tested for mercury and PCBs. These gummies will provide you with all the nutrients you need to bring a beautiful and healthy child into the world. Affordable, fun, and great-tasting, you can’t really ask for more.
- Sweet and chewy
- Contains all necessary vitamins and minerals, including DHA
- Two gummies a day
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, peanut-free (safe for people with allergies)
- Uses natural food-dye
8. Once Daily Prenatal Multivitamin from Solaray
Affordable, practical, once-a-day tablet that provides you with all the necessary nutrients, including the vital omega-3 fatty acid, DHA. Many women find this to be a reasonable choice in prenatal care since it includes all the necessary nutrients while being extremely affordable as well.
- Very affordable
- Includes DHA
- Available in gel capsules or tablets
- One capsule daily
9. Prenatal Multivitamins from Spring Valley
These are very affordable prenatal multivitamins that include everything you need to bring a healthy baby to term. Easy to swallow, tasteless, and taken only once a day, these are extremely easy to live with and the price just makes everything better. Mothers who have used this prenatal vitamin in the past say that it is very gentle on their stomach and prevents morning sickness.
- Easy to swallow, tasteless, odorless
- Gentle on sensitive stomachs
- One capsule daily
- Very affordable
10. Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal System
These prenatal vitamins are available in two different formulas, one which contains DHA and one that does not for women who are allergic to fish (DHA contains fish oil). Women love the fact that these prenatal vitamins are very affordable. Another great thing about Puritan’s Pride prenatal vitamins is that the iron and calcium supplements can be physically seen in the quality of your hair and nails. A common complaint among mothers-to-be is that their hair becomes lifeless and dry and that their nails become brittle and refuse to grow. Puritan’s pride is a great cure for these problems. Other than that one point of vanity, it has you covered on all essential prenatal vitamins and minerals and even includes DHA.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free
- Contains DHA (also available without)
- Once capsule a day
- Great for hair and nail health
I hope these short reviews help you find just the right prenatal vitamin for an amazing pregnancy and healthy delivery. Happy pregnancy!